5 Steps to Staying Motivated and Avoid Living in a Van Down By the River
If you are old enough to remember when Chris Farley was on Saturday Night Live, then you most likely remember the infamous words of his most famous character, Matt Foley. You see, Matt was a divorced motivational speaker…who lived in a van down by the river (the very thought of that guy doling out advice to people while his life was a spectacular failure still causes me to laugh). So, how do you stay motivated enough in your college career to ensure that your future does not involve you living out of your van?
The first thing that you need to remember is that the choices you make while you’re in college will (most likely) affect the rest of your life. So, while you’re studying, use these tips to ensure that you won’t end up like Matt Foley:
1. Choose the right major/diploma for yourself. Really think about what drives you, where your passions are, and how you can use that knowledge within a career.
2. Speak to your classmates on a regular basis. Sometimes the greatest motivation is speaking to others about the same issues you may be facing, whether it is sharing ideas, developing a study group, or simply sharing your passions with them.
3. Make a plan. Write out each step that you must take to achieve your goals, and display it in a visible area where you can see it each day.
4. Reward yourself. When you have completed a major task, buy a new sweater, eat at a fancy restaurant, meet a friend for coffee, go for a run, etc.
5. Surround yourself with others who have similar goals as you. As the saying goes, “a man is known by the company he keeps”, so ensure that you have positive people surrounding you that will encourage and support you, and do the same for them.
As long as you use tips such as these and continually remind yourself of why you’re working so hard, you will succeed in whatever it is that you’ve put your mind to.
And of course you want to be successful in life. Because let’s face it…as cool as those retro VW vans might be, you certainly don’t want to be 34 years old, thrice divorced, and living in one down by the river.
Filed under: College, Education, School | 24 Comments
Tags: chris farley, College, Degree, Diploma, Education, major, matt foley, motivation, school, SNL, University, VW van